The Leadership Saskatoon program offers a curriculum that helps you explore your leadership perspectives and provides tools you can use in the community.
As a participant in the Leadership Saskatoon program you will meet and learn from people from across three sectors (public, private and not-for-profit). Many of our alumni consider this to be one of the real strengths of our program.
You will learn skills and acquire tools that will help you make a difference as a leader in your community; while contributing more to your organization, and our city as a whole.
The 10 month program consists of challenge days, learning teams and a mentorship component:
- After a program orientation in mid-September, and the Opening Retreat at the end of September, there are nine learning days called Challenge Days [see 2018-2019 Program Schedule]. These are held monthly from October to June on Mondays from 9 am to 5 pm. They are led by professional facilitators who volunteer with our program.
- Every participant will join a learning team and explore a community issue they are passionate about.
- Teams are coached by professional coaches who volunteer with our program.
- Each participant is matched with a mentor who is a community leader in Saskatoon.
- Matches meet at a luncheon in January and are expected to meet a few times between then and June.
The Leadership Saskatoon program offers a curriculum that helps you explore your leadership perspectives and provides tools you can use in your community and organization.
- We use a variety of learning styles, classroom-based lectures, small and large group discussions, community leadership panels and interactive workshops designed to help you apply what you are learning.
- Our aim is to foster a mutually supportive learning environment where participants are challenged to think critically, to direct their own learning, to engage with differing perspectives, and to ground their learning in the realities that face leaders in our community today.
- Participants learn how to frame issues and choices in terms of leadership values and styles that support and sustain communities.
- Our Program Committee, drawn from alumni, the Leadership Saskatoon Board of Directors, program volunteers and curriculum specialists monitors the program and helps us keep it transformative, current, effective and relevant.
||Tools we use
|Creativity & Reflection
||Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
|Personal Values Exploration
||Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI) 360
|Deep Listening and Deep Conversations
||Thomas Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument (TKI)
|Emotional and Social Intelligence
|Storytelling for Leaders
|Giving & Receiving Feedback
|Exploring and Leading Change
Leadership development programs are many and varied. Here is what we think makes us unique:
- Dynamic and diverse participant groups
- Layered and progressive learning over a ten-month period
- A team of highly skilled professional facilitators and coaches who volunteer their time
- Blend of innovative approaches to learning and development
- Essential and transferable leadership skills at the individual, organizational and community level
- Access to Saskatoon's leaders and the Leadership Saskatoon network
Back to top ^^^
Participants benefit from the Leadership Saskatoon experience.
- Increased understanding of community and leadership issues
- Enhanced self-awareness and ability to work effectively with others
- Increased personal leadership capacity and confidence
- Connection with a network of experienced and committed leaders from across the community
Leadership Saskatoon makes a difference in the community.
- Increased understanding of approaches to exploring community issues and greater sensitivity to community diversity.
- Increased energy and capacity to lead and take action on community challenges.
- New connections across public, private and non-profit organizations.
- Deeper sense of common ground and common vision for a strong and vibrant community of Saskatoon.
Back to top ^^^
Our alumni now number over 425 in total. Click on each year to view the class photo.
Back to top ^^^